Friday, August 19, 2011

Kieran's birthday

As August 19th was nearing, I found myself both dreading the day and wondering how to mark the occasion.  It would have been Kieran's "champagne birthday", 19 on the 19th and it would have been the day he could legally order his own champagne here in Ontario.

I found myself dreading the emptiness and fearing the emotions that I would have to wrestle with. I couldn't figure out what would be the most fitting way to mark this day. But this morning I woke up with a realization that I have a choice in how I experience this day. It need not be heavy.  It can be an opportunity to really focus on gratitude for and celebration of Kieran's birth into this world, and a time to notice how his huge, gregarious and gentle spirit genuinely continues to be expressed in so many ways.  He is very, very present, tangibly so.

For 18 years, 2 months, and 8 days, I took care of my son in the best ways I knew how, and now... he clearly is taking care of me, and of all of those he loves.  I have no doubt that it is Kieran who has led me to this realization that I can simply choose gratitude today.

Please mark November 19 on your calendar and join us at the premiere performance of "Kieran's Song"; it will indeed be a joyous celebration.

No comments:

Post a Comment